Have you ever wanted to write for The Adroit Blog? Now, you have the chance. We are now accepting submissions on a rolling basis for Guest Blogs, Guest Columns, Interviews, and Reviews. Shock us, enamor us, and give us life! Read below for details.
Submission Guidelines: The Adroit Blog
The Adroit Blog is an extension of The Adroit Journal, aiming to publish evocative essays, interviews, musings, rants, reviews, and anything else related to art and literature. We like everything from light-hearted, comedic vignettes to serious literary criticism. Our desires are simple: we want to publish pieces that are interesting— pieces that are exciting, thought-provoking, and zany. We dare you to shock us.
We currently accept submissions for Guest Blog posts, Guest Columns, interviews, and reviews. It would be wonderful to showcase a variety of voices on The Adroit Blog, so we encourage you to submit.
GUEST BLOG SUBMISSIONS:
Guest Blogs are one-off blog posts that can be about anything you wish, so long as it has a tie-in to literature and/or the arts. There are two ways to submit:
- Upload a piece between 500 and 1500 words to Submittable, along with a cover letter that briefly tells us who you are, and what your piece is about.
- Upload a document with one to three pitches for a Guest Blog post, along with a cover letter that briefly tells us who you are. If you choose to pitch ideas, rather than submit a piece directly, please include two to three links to samples of your writing.
GUEST COLUMN PROPOSALS:
A Guest Column is a recurring series of posts that center around a certain theme— for example, Adroit staff members contribute to a Feminist Fridays column, where every Friday, the Blog features a new essay of feminist literary criticism.
We’re looking for columns that are creative and original, so don’t be afraid to get weird.
- In your proposal, outline what your column would be about, and what messages you seek to convey.
- Provide three to five brief pitches (a few sentences each) for sample posts within your column so that we can get a solid understanding of what you wish to publish.
- Tell us if your column would appear once a week, once every other week, or once a month.
- After a column has been accepted, you will discuss the length of your commitment to Adroit with the Blog Editor.
We accept proposals for interviews with artists and writers. We like interviews that are unique and engaging— we like in-depth discussions that tell us something about how the interviewee thinks and feels about the world around them.
- Tell us a bit about the person whom you’d like to interview, and what the two of you plan to discuss.
- Along with your proposal, include 2-3 links to writing samples.
- Please make sure that your target interviewee has agreed to be interviewed before submitting a proposal.
- Interviews should be under 2000 words, but in cases of longer, yet very high-quality interviews, we can split an interview into two separate blog posts.
The Adroit Blog is seeking reviews of recently-published poetry collections, short story collections, essay collections, literary novels, and more. We think that a good review does more than just describe a work— a good review analyzes a work from a thoughtful, worldly perspective.
- Upload a review to Submittable between 500 and 1500 words
- Include a brief cover letter that lets us know who you are.